Diverse Books Toolkit
As you infuse diverse, inclusive, and culturally relevant materials into fiction and nonfiction reading experiences, this toolkit helps analyze collections, identify and bring to life diverse texts, and encourage reflection on cultural representation. see more
As you infuse diverse, inclusive, and culturally relevant materials into fiction and nonfiction reading experiences, this toolkit helps analyze collections, identify and bring to life diverse texts, and encourage reflection on cultural representation.
- Identify exceptional diverse books for all children and teens.
- Bring culture and race to the forefront of literary conversations with culturally relevant, primary source materials.
- Facilitate conversations about children's and young adult books by learning the inspiration of these books, directly from the author or illustrator.
- Analyze and generate reports that examine the genre and cultural inclusion of books in your custom lists and collections.
- Facilitate student reflection on the cultural representation of the characters, setting, and events in the diverse books each student reads.
For historical context, see data on children's and young adult books by and about Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) published since 1985, compiled by the Cooperative Children's Book Center, School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Diverse Books by Culture
Diverse Books by Subject
Expanded Search by Culture, Genre, Grade Level & More
Diverse Book Awards, Thematic Booklists, & Series
Learn about book awards, booklists, and series that focus on the best diverse books.
Cultural Representation Activities
Support students' discovering a broader understanding of an inclusive society with these multi-level reflections that consider the cultural representation of characters, setting, and events in the books they read.
Retrieve Multi-leveled Cultural Representation Reflection for...
Collection Analysis Reports on Diversity and Inclusion
Examine your booklists, syllabi, and collections so that they best represent your goals for diversity and inclusion. Also included in each report is a "Not Represented" analysis where you can click to identify titles to potentially add to your collections.
Generate your List Analysis Report three different ways.
Note: The first two options generate a custom reading list filled with resources for each title, along with providing the report. The third option is just the Collection Analysis Report.